Trade Secret Litigation
Trade secrets often account for a substantial portion of a company’s value; indeed, recent legal developments have further increased the value of trade secrets. But today’s global, collaborative economy presents increased risk of trade secret disclosure and misappropriation. Our litigators understand how companies define and use their trade secrets, which allows us to present compelling arguments on behalf of our clients.
We have successfully represented clients in major trade secret cases on the plaintiff and defense side of the docket, including multiple cases where we won large jury verdicts.
Select cases handled by our trade secret litigators include:
- Represented a neurosurgeon in a trade secret and correction of inventorship case against one of the largest privately held medical device companies in the United States; obtained a large jury verdict after a jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas; the verdict was affirmed by the Federal Circuit (Fed. Cir., E.D. Tex.)
- Represented one of the world’s largest chemical companies in the prosecution of a trade secret case in Houston that ended in a verdict that was identified by The National Law Journal as one of the 10 largest verdicts in America that year (Tex. – Harris Cnty.)
- Represented an energy trading company in trade secret litigation that involved proprietary energy trading procedures and customer lists (successfully defended against attempts to obtain a temporary injunction in Harris County, Texas, and resolved the case without any cessation of business or payment of damages) (Tex. Dist. – Harris Cnty.)
- Representing an agriculture technology company in trade secret litigation against the world’s largest retailer (E. D. Ark.)
- Defended the world’s leading data networking company against competitors’ claims of trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, copyright infringement, employee raiding, and breach of contract (D. Mass., E.D. Tex.)
- Represented an IT company that contracts with state governments to run educational payroll systems in an injunctive matter wherein it was accused of theft of trade secrets and hiring key employees from a competitor (successfully prevented the issuance of a temporary restraining order in Travis County, Texas, and resolved the case without any cessation of business or payment of damages) (Tex. Dist. – Travis Cnty.)
- Represented a major mutual fund company in an injunctive matter in the Southern District of Texas against a competitor that hired away the manager of a top-performing, national mutual fund family (S.D. Tex.)
- Represented an auto parts manufacturer against a competitor that hired away several key salespersons (obtained temporary and permanent injunctions against defendant) (Tex. Dist. – Travis Cnty.)
- Represented one of the largest medical device companies in the United States in patent infringement and trade secret litigation that involved medical devices used to repair vertebral compression fractures in human spines (W. D. Tenn.)
See our attorneys’ profiles for additional examples of WSL’s substantial experience in this area of law.
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.